Five Facts You Need to Know
About Mental Health
1. No Medical Tests for Mental Disorders — Mental health disorders are diagnosed by a list of symptoms. No medical tests exist that can detect a mental health disorder – no brain scan, no blood test, no chemical imbalance test.
2. Follow the Money — Psychiatric disorders are listed in the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. The disorders are voted on by work groups comprised of psychiatrists. According to a 2012 report from the University of Massachusetts— “Three-fourths of the work groups continue to have a majority of their members with financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry”.
3. Dangerous Side Effects — Per the FDA, some of the side effects of psychiatric drugs include mania, psychosis, depression, suicidal thoughts and death.
4. You Do Have a Choice — Non-psychiatric medical professionals can, and do, perform medical tests to detect any potential underlying physical cause of unwanted mental health symptoms.
5. Right to Informed Consent –Each individual has the right to Informed Consent. They have the right to know about the risks of the treatment and the alternative treatments.
For more information on this subject go to: http://cchrflorida.org/the-history-of-informed-consent.html
or call the free hotline at the Citizens Commission on Human Rights of Florida – 800-782-2878